Thursday, April 18, 2013

Random On-Campus Eats

Macaron fix from Sugar Philly (Mixed berry yogurt, green tea, chocolate ganache, tiramisu)

... For those days when you're feeling like a sweet little pick me up after classes in Huntsman, and the colorful Sugar Philly truck across the 38th and Walnut intersection is calling your name.
The owner pipes in the macaron filling immediately after each order, making sure the macarons are always super fresh. The macaron shells are crunchy on the outside, yet chewy inside; and the fillings are on the creamier/butterier side. Their classic macaron flavors are chocolate ganache, tiramisu and milk & honey, and they have a daily special that ranges from green tea to lemon-poppyseed. I haven't tried their other desserts, but apparently, they have a pretty mad cheesecake and creme brûlée too! Check out their menu and daily specials here.

Sugar Philly Truck
38th between Sansom & Walnut
Philadelphia, PA 19104

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oatmeal from McClelland - LOL

... For those mornings when you feel like it's seriously about time you swipe.
Monday and Thursday are oatmeal days for breakfast at McClelland. Otherwise, you get grits or cream of wheat -yikes. The oatmeal is probably the one thing at McClelland that I actually look forward to. After the lady rejects the bowl you hand over to her, plops a few scoops of oatmeal into one of her own bowls and hands it over to you with a snarl. Oh yes, good morning to you too.
I always top my warm bowl of oatmeal off with some granola to add some crunchy sweetness, as well as some peanut butter to add some flavor!

McClelland Dining Hall
The Quad
3700 Spruce St

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonkotsu ramen at Ramen Bar 

... For those days when your best friend (as per usual) is craving some noodle.
I went over to the then newly-opened Ramen Bar just a few steps off campus with Maylynn at the start of the school year. The place was really new and modern, and the servers were all very enthusiastic. We both decided to order the classic tonkotsu ramen with straight noodles to be safe. The portions were quite generous (typical for any ramen restaurant) and the menu had quite a few interesting choices (they had quite a few donburi rice dishes like katsudon too). The texture of the broth was a bit too creamy and thick for my liking. I would've preferred something lighter that wouldn't be so difficult to finish. I'm really looking forward to try out the ramen at Nom Nom Ramen too, which is also known to have some pretty good pork belly buns.

Ramen Bar
4040 Locust St
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 243-9999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicken schwarma in whole-wheat pita with everything (hummus, vegetables, onions, harif hot sauce and tahini)
Hearty pita sandwich from Hummus Grill


... For those days when a salad just won't do it.
Let's face it, sometimes we feel so hungry that we really need something hearty to really satisfy ourselves. After the first time I came to Hummus for dinner with my WAX mentor, Mark, I had come to realize how much of a gem Hummus was. They served the schwarma in a hot pita pocket (your choice between whole-wheat or regular) and top it with everything that ranges from the cool to hot side of the spectrum. I'm talking about refreshing cucumbers and tomatoes all the way to the tangy hot sauce (which I always ask for extra of). The combination of all the temperatures of flavors really hits my soft spot. I hear their falafel is pretty good too, but after my first chicken schwarma sandwich, I just had to order a repeat.

Hummus Grill
3931 Walnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 222-5300

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bella Donna (tofu meatballs on rice & vegetables with cheese) from Magic Carpet


... For those days when you're just not feeling like you're up for meat.
Every time I walk back to the upper quad gate from somewhere on the east side of campus (ugh, DRL), I always pass by the longggg line of people at Magic Carpet. I decided to try it out one day for lunch to see if it really was worth the hype. That time, I got the marinated baked tofu salad, and frankly was not impressed. I was confused why the line won't just spread out to just pick up food from the other less-crowded food trucks... Still skeptical, yet curious, I decided to try it again a few months later -maybe I just made the wrong order all those months ago. With the suggestion of a friend, I got the Bella Donna with a side of pita. To my surprise and delight, it was far better than my first choice. The rice had a variety of vegetables throughout it and was drenched in a very tasty, hearty tomato sauce. It came with a few tofu meatballs (which I didn't even realize were tofu) and topped generously with cheese.

Magic Carpet Food Truck
36th and Spruce by the Lower Quad Gate
Philadelphia, PA 19104

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chinese food at Beijing


... For those days when you're missing home.
Beijing was a classic for Maylynn and I whenever we felt like having some Chinese food at the window seat and watching people pass by outside. I mean, it was literally only a few steps away. Personally, I prefer their food over Sangkee's and haven't found any other Chinese places in the city, with the exception of Han Dynasty, that I really liked. I love a lot of their veggie dishes, especially their clay pot eggplant and anything from their all-natural menu (see the miso-ginger vegetables with brown rice above). In fact, I could easily just down a warm bowl of their brown rice with the satisfying chili oil... The bubble tea though? Let's not go there... TeaDo instead!

Beijing
3714 Spruce St
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 222-5242

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Late-night Insomnia runs with Roops!








... For those days when your favorite sweet tooth is having a late-night cookie craving.
Okay, these cookies are ubiquitous. Almost every meeting, birthday, study session and event I've attended had served boxes of Insomnia cookies and cakes. But I'm not complaining. They're always super buttery and chewy inside, but crisp on the outside. Plus, always warm thanks to the delivery hours until 3AM. My favorites are easily: chocolate chunk, snickerdoodle, white chocolate macadamia and peanut butter.

Insomnia Cookies
University of Pennsylvania
3417 Spruce St
(877) 632-6654

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Sweet potato and beef tacos from Honest Tom's


... For those days when you're up for a nice walk to the row of restaurants on 44th.
Honest Tom's is a quaint little place beside some other pretty cute restaurants on 44th street. They had small soft tacos for $3 each, so when I went there with Bella and San, we tried one of sweet potato, beef, and steak & yucca. Apparently, they were best known for their sweet potato tacos though! Overall, I thought they were alright -a bit too small for my liking. We continued over to Tampopo and shared a hot stone bulgogi and then had dessert at Lil Pop Shop! After all, we had already made it so far! How could we pass them up?

Honest Tom's Taco Shop
261 44th St
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 620-1851

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



... For those Whartonites who live in Huntsman and frequent Bridge Cafe.
First of all, the parfaits are a staple. Seeing other people eating them in class always makes me dart straight to Bridge after class to get one too. I think I easily buy two a day on a regular basis. They very much frequent my instagram and snapchat. I don't know what it is about the parfaits recently though, the granola hasn't been as crunchy as they used to be, and on some days has been really tasteless, soggy and nasty. My new favorite for Friday mornings when Huntsman is empty is the breakfast scramble which comes with delicious home fries that I shower with hot sauce. Perfect Friday breakfast.

Bridge Cafe
The Wharton School, Jon M. Huntsman Hall, 1st Floor
3730 Walnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 746-1333

1 comment:

  1. hahah i can't believe u blogged about mcclelland, love it

    ReplyDelete